The Coronation

coronation_archive

“Plans have been submitted for an electric picture palace theatre in High Road, New Southgate.”

This entry in the Southgate Recorder during 1910 heralded the construction of the Coronation cinema which opened at the end of 1911. The owners were Mrs May and Mr Hopkins.

cor_b001Inside were two aisles, both carpeted with about six seats to a row on the outside blocks and a few more in the centre block. At the rear was a small raised box holding four seats in two pairs – this was the ’balcony’. The walls were divided into panels by lines of simple plasterwork and in the centre of each panel was an ornate gas bracket. The predominant colour was pink.

With the coming of the ‘Talkies’ no attempt was made to convert the Coronation to sound. Instead another cinema, the New Coronation, was built next door. The old cinema became a dance hall until the start of the Second World War when it later became a factory producing powder puffs. The building was still standing in 1966 but was demolished soon afterwards.

coronatino_mosaic

Created by Art Start with help from local people, Bujar, Mikey, Jakub, Naomi,
El-Bethel, Gabriel, Dawit, Susan, Tiguist, Ariana, Louise, Sarah and Emilio